Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I'm Listening To (As I write my NaNo)

Hello everyone!
I hope everyone doing NaNoWriMo is having fun & success. (Only a week left! Ahhhh!)
Since I haven't posted anything in a while, I thought I'd share with you guys some songs/lyrics that have inspired me as I'm writing. Whether it's the lyrics or the moods of these songs, these are all songs that have helped me survive NaNo so far. As you can see, they all involve some kind of "dreamy" mood or the mention of dreams ... I can't help it. I'm so ... literal.

So, yeah. Here it is. My playlist for Sweet Sorrow:

1. "Set Apart This Dream" by Flyleaf

Close your eyes pretty girl
'Cause it's easier when you brace yourself
Set your thoughts on a world far off
Where we only cry from joy

2. "On Top Of The World" by Boys Like Girls

Let's spend tonight on top of the world
We can do anything
We can be anything
I'll meet you tonight on top of the world
As real as it seems
You're only in my dreams

3. "Blinding" by Florence + the Machine

Seems that I have been held
In some dreaming state
A tourist in the waking world
Never quite awake

4. "Painting Flowers" by All Time Low

When I wake up
The dream isn't done
I want to see your face
And know I made it home
If nothing is true
What more can I do?
I am still painting flowers for you

5. "Keep the Car Running" by Arcade Fire

The same city where I go when I sleep
You can't swim across a river so deep
They know my name 'cause I told it to them
But they don't know where
And they don't know 
When it's coming

6. "Ghost" by Blue Foundation

He's burned down many a bridge
And he's scared of walking in the dark
It hurts when the rain falls on his skin


Oh he is worn out from marching
And he's forgotten for what he's searching

7. "Don't Wake Me Up" by The Hush Sound

You came to me
In seamless sleep
Slipped right in
Behind my eye
On the back of my mind
We swam a sea
Of pretty sights and chandelier skies
I swore I could feel you breathe
It was all so real to me


The light had slipped through the window
The morning ripped you away, oh

8. "Where the Fence is Low" by LIGHTS

Each shadow I walk
To the ends of the forest
And the shape of the hands
That break the ground for us
The fear that contains
That binds like a blessing
I've been here before
Then again I'm guessing


9. "Misguided Ghosts" by Paramore

Misguided ghosts,
Traveling endlessly,
The ones we trusted the most,
Pushed us far away,
And there's no one road,
We should not be the same,
But I'm just a ghost,
And still they echo me

10. "Unleashed" by Epica

Where was I meant to be?
I'm feeling lost in a dream,
Long for the day I can be myself

11. "Sweet Dreams" by The Eurhythmics

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

12. "Imaginary" by Evanescence

Don't say I'm out of touch
With this rampant chaos––your reality
I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge
The nightmare I built my own world to escape

13. "Trust Me" by The Fray

Looking for something I've never seen
Alone and I'm in between
...
I found a friend or should I say a foe
Said there's a few things you should know
We don't want you to see
We come and we go
Here today, gone tomorrow
...
Take it from me
We don't give sympathy
You can trust me, trust nobody

14. "Leave My Body" by Florence + the Machine

I'm gonna be released from behind these lines
And I don't care whether I live or die
And I'm losing blood, I'm gonna leave my bones

15. "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane

I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

16. "Help I'm Alive" by Metric

I tremble
They're gonna eat me alive
If I stumble
They're gonna eat me alive
Can you hear my heart beating like a hammer?


Well, that's all folks!
Anyone else have any particular songs that have helped them through NaNo so far?

2 comments:

  1. Oo. I know a few of these songs, and then there are songs I don't know! Exciting~

    My latest obsessions are Blood Sugar, by Pendulum; The Greeks, by Is Tropical; Getaway, by Dev (among the many songs of hers that I like); Chandelier, by Hotspur; and Hot Summer, by f(x). There's a lot of songs that I also listen to for inspiration, just that they're not as recently discovered.

    Because it seems your set of songs are all very dreamy/dream-related, I recommend these:


    Labyrinth of Dreams, by Nox Arcana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUGtfpYzCM
    This is a bit eerie, but it's lovely at the same time.

    Wait for Sleep, by Dream Theater
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qMe6erRPU
    A bit sad, but a personal favorite of mine.

    Just A Dream, by Nelly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O2ncUKvlg&ob=av3e
    This song was a bit overplayed, but I still like it a lot.

    Just A Dream, by Carrie Underwood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMfKBYd2NHk
    Normally, I'm not a huge fan of country, but this one is pretty good.

    Dream, Dream Spirit Moon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-W78RWsmU
    This is just relaxing; I listen to it when I go to sleep, but perhaps it'll be inspiring to you?

    Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1PMEfUMQI
    Just because. It's still a great song...

    Swan Song, by Brightwood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTuQyd_xFFs&feature=relmfu
    Not exactly about dreams, but it feels like a song that you might like; let me know if I'm wrong though!

    Bloom, by The Paper Kites
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8inJtTG_DuU
    Also a song that's not related to dreams, but gives me a sort of dreamy feel.

    Nothing Else Matters, covered by Club for Five
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFELdzSQV4
    Originally by Metallica, BUT this acappella cover of it is amazing and makes me want to cry every time I listen to it because it's so beautiful. *sniff*

    Monster, by Paramore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTEnaAI9Fo&ob=av2e
    I'm going to put this out there because I like this song a lot and because you have a current of some darker themes in your list of songs as well.

    Silence, by Delerium
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-je1_Ejq0
    I just love this song; it's very calming but has a good pulse to it. I think you might like it.


    And yeah...I'm just going to stop there before I get too ahead of myself. Let me know what you like, and that way I can get a better idea of what I might be able to suggest to you if you're interested in more. (Sorry for the massive post!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks SO much! :D
    Yeah, I'll listen to them when I have a chance and let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!